Asian Pakistane Indian Recipes

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hawaiian Fried Rice

"Hawai'i". The name makes me feel nostalgic and takes me to those days when I lived there. I was working in Honolulu for nearly an year before I got married and moved to U.S. East Coast. The main thing I miss is the climate. Hawai'i has a tropical climate year-round, like in India. And of course I miss the beaches, bus-rides, culture and the workplace. The city of Honolulu is well connected by buses and the culture and people of Hawai'i are so genuine. The workplace was stress-free and enjoyable. Even now when I think I feel I had been so lucky to spend time there. Ok.. about my Hawaiian fried rice. It is not an authentic Hawaiian dish. I decided to name it so because it has pineapples and coconut in it.




Ingredients:

Rice - 1 1/2 cups
Coconut milk - 1 1/2 cups
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Pineapple - chopped - 3/4 cup (I used about 6 oz of the canned pineapple)
Mixed Vegetables chopped finely - 2 1/2 cups
(I used Carrot, Green beans, Bell pepper, Cabbage, Spring onion greens)
Green chillies - 1 - slit lengthwise
Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Fresh Ground pepper - 1/2 tsp
Sesame oil / gingelly oil - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste



Method:

Pressure cook the rice with a pinch of salt, drizzle of oil, mix of coconut milk and water. You may also cook on stove-top. Adding salt to the rice while cooking gives the rice a jasmine white color. When rice is done fluff it with a fork and spread on a plate and allow it to cool about 15 mins. When cool pop the plate open into the fridge and refridgerate for mininum 30 - 45 mins.
We do this because the pineapple is going to add some moisture to the rice and so the cooked rice needs to be little dry.
In a wide kadai, heat sesame oil, and when it is piping hot, add the slit green chilli and the carrots, string beans and garlic paste. Saute in high heat for 2 mins and add the cabbage and green pepper and saute until the bell peppers are lightly cooked but retain their crunch. Now add pineapple chunks and saute for 1 minute and add the rice and salt and pepper to taste. Remember we already added a green chilli and add pepper as required. Mix with the vegetables and take care not to break the rice. Garnish with scallions/spring onion greens and serve hot. The aroma of the coconut with the pineapple fills your kitchen and your soul.



I am sending this to Winter Warmers event by The Veggie Hut.



Sending this to Srivalli's Kid's Delight hosted by Nupur of UK-Rasoi, for the month of April 2012.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More