Asian Pakistane Indian Recipes

Friday, March 23, 2012

Quinoa Bahala Bath / Mosaranna / Quinoa Thayir Sadham | Indian Quinoa Recipes

Happy Ugadi everyone!! Hope you all are celebrating Ugadi in a traditional way with your family. As for me, I miss the Bevu Bella/Ugadi Pachadi very much. I made this Karnataka special recipe Bahala Bath (curd rice) to celebrate Ugadi. Enjoy!
I can't stop cooking with Quinoa (pronounced keen-Wah) and I make sure I do so atleast twice in a week. I may sound redundant but quinoa is an excellent alternative for rice dishes and above all you would not miss rice at all. After trying Quinoa Bisi Bele Bhath, Pumpkin Quinoa pulao, I tried my hand at this simple Quinoa Bagala Bhath which I totally fell in love with. This one is totally guilt-free since I have used Quinoa - a whole grain, source of complete protein, dietary fiber and gluten-free; milk and yogurt - the best sources of calcium. Tempered it in Indian way to spice it up.
Ingredients:
Serves - 2
Quinoa - 1/2 cup
Water - 1 1/4 cup
Fat free or Reduced fat milk - 1 1/2 cup
Curd/Low fat greek yogurt - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
For Tempering:
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/4 tsp
Chana dhal - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chilli - 1 broken
Curry leaves - 2
Ginger - minced - 1/2 tsp
Method:
Pressure cook quinoa with water and salt for 4 whistles. When the pressure is released, lightly mash the quinoa and add milk. Allow it to simmer until most of the milk is absorbed and the quinoa looks creamy. Remove from heat and mix the yogurt. Prepare the tempering by heating oil in a small pan. Add the ingredients for tempering to the oil and fry in medium heat until the chana dhal becomes light brown. Pour the tempering over the prepared bagala bhath and mix. Serve with pickles, papad or any vegetable side dish. I had it with an omelet with vegetables to make it a wholesome meal.
Also Check out my Vegetable Clear soup with Quinoa and Quinoa Savory Pancakes.
Sending this healthy and delicious dish to the following events..
Kitchen Chronicles #7-Summer Splash by Kalyani; Healthy Morsels - Pregnancy; Summer Spirits; Only - South Indian Food;
 [Only%2520South%2520Indian%255B3%255D.png]


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More