Asian Pakistane Indian Recipes

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Carrot Rice | Indian Rice Recipes

When I looked back at my posts I saw I didn't have many rice dishes. After all, rice is the staple food of us South Indians. And DH cannot live without rice for more than two days. So I thought I should have more of those recipes in my space. This simple and quick Carrot Rice is my start for my "more rice recipes for blog pact". It is a great lunch box recipe too. Expect more simple rice recipes in my space.
Ingredients:
Serves - 2
Rice - 1 1/2 cups (rice cooker cup)
Carrot - 2 medium sized - grated
Onion -chopped - 1//2 cup
Green chillies - 2 or 3 - slit
Curry leaves - a few
Salt - to taste
Tempering:
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Broken Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Chana dhal - 1 tsp
Method:
Cook rice as twice the amount of water. When done, spread on a plate / cookie pan to cool completely. Meanwhile heat oil in a wide kadai and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the urad dhal and chana dhal and fry until it takes a shade of light brown. Add the curry leaves and slit green chillies and fry for a minute. Onion goes next. Fry for about 3-5 minutes with a pinch of salt until it turns soft. Now add the grated carrot and fry until it is cooked, about 5-7 minutes. Now add the cooked cooled rice and mix well. Serve with any curry of your choice. A simple pickle and papad would also be great.

Sending this to Srivalli’sKid’s Delight event hosted by Pavani.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More